More and more couples are opting for city breaks and culture over the traditional beach hideaway for their honeymoon. What’s wrong with the Maldives we hear you cry?! Nothing at all, whatsoever. In fact, I’d love to be there myself right now… cocktail in hand, lying in a hammock…
A honeymoon should be the best holiday of your life, one that you can splurge a little more on, drink the best wine, stay in a luxurious hotel and really treat yourselves. Heck, why not fly first class if you can! If a beach doesn’t float your boat or your idea of a dream vacation involves visiting some of the best cities in the world, then why stick to tradition.
OK, so maybe I am a little hypocritical… I honeymooned in Mauritius, but it’s somewhere that was on our bucket travel list and something we knew we probably wouldn’t be able to justify at any other time. Having said that, New York is one of my favorite cities. It’s in my top 3 along with London and Barcelona and somewhere numerous friends have chosen for their honeymoon. I heart NY and if you’re looking for a romantic city break, then look no further. Here are my favorite hotel hot-spots for some Love in the City.
1. The Standard Highline NYC – An amazing hotel, a fantastic grill restaurant and right by The High line, an uber cool park and walkway in an old unused subway station with amazing views of the Hudson river. Have a romantic stroll along the High line, work up an appetite for some oysters, then retire to your beautiful room with a glass of champagne. What a way to kick off your honeymoon!
2. The Plaza – A classic. In fact, a New York institution. The Plaza has featured in more movies than you can count (the original Great Gatsby, Breakfast at Tiffany’s) and has hosted many a celebrity wedding over the years. From Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas to Eddie Murphy and Kelsey Grammer (not to each other!). It really is the best of the best. “Your girl is lovely Hubbell”.
3. The Hudson – Funky, fresh and fun. This was the scene for my 30th birthday. There were cocktails in their amazing bar, there was fun in their pool room (my husband beat me hands down) and there was romance on their rooftop. With amazing views over the city, their roof top garden is a beautiful space to enjoy a romantic moment as newlyweds.
4. Soho House – The ultimate place to see and be seen in New York. If celeb spotting is your thing, then this is where you need to be. Celebrity gossip not your thing? Then their Cowshed Spa and rooftop pool are pretty spectacular too. For use of hotel guests and private members only.
5. Mandarin Oriental – If you’re a lover of impeccable service, delicious cocktails and 5 star views, then look no further. From Dim Sum to afternoon tea, the Mandarin Oriental never disappoints. If you have a head for heights, then head up to their Sky Lobby Lounge on the 34th floor for breathtaking views of Central Park. Their Mandarin sunset cocktail alone is a reason to go!
What do you think? A you a beach loving sun seeker or a culture vulture city slicker? Beach v City? We want to know. Tweet us! @ZankyouUS