White Gallery 2012 Runway Review
10:00am Monday morning, White Gallery, London
I was contemplating picking up a glass of champagne as a friendly waiter approached me with the bubbling offering. Bearing in mind that I had been awake since 4:30 and had only eaten a breakfast bar, I reluctantly declined. After all, I had work to do! The first show of the day was Stephanie Allin and as I’m 1) Welsh and 2) a big fan of her designs, I couldn’t wait.
I took my seat and waited for the show to start. I was sat close to the beginning of the catwalk, and could hear laughing from behind the wall which calmed my nerves instantly! I couldn’t help but giggle a little and dance in my seat when the poptastic sound of Holly Valance’s ‘Kiss Kiss’ began and the models took to the stage. The Marrakesh inspired collection was light and sunny and a definite crowd-pleaser. The models were happy and smiling, as was I.
There were plenty of highlights such as a gorgeous peplum top and tapered trouser set in a jacquard fabric, a dropped hem dress with lace edging and a double skirted gown with layers of fluid chiffon creating a fishtail effect. It took my breath away.
It’s 12:00pm, I’m yet to eat anything substantial and a photographer pushes his lens in my face to capture my huge glasses, so yet again I reluctantly decline the bubbly. The atmosphere has changed completely in the anticipation for the Ian Stuart 2013 show. The music begins and the models emerge. Goldfinger has set the mood and the models walk slowly and purposefully along the catwalk and pose dramatically. Once again the Ian Stuart collection is a feast for the eyes and would definitely be the envy of any Disney princess worth her salt! Hearing the Beauty and the Beast classic Little Town, and the tongue-twisting Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious really brought this home.
My highlights? A full skirted, belted dress with an all over jacquard bow pattern, a large pink dress in polka dot jacquard, a vintage looking gown with fabric pulled and gathered at the hip where a garland of paper was hanging.
British Talents Preview
The third time I shake my head at a glass of my favorite beverage, I’m too excited for the British Talents Preview to think about anything else! I take a seat on a very high bench (my feet are, quite literally, a foot off the ground), and eagerly await this compilation of the best Britain has to offer. I could go on and on here, but since we’ll be giving you a separate review of each collection, I’ll give you a snippet of what was on offer!
* Johanna Hehir – Plenty of lace and quite a lot of sparkle, vintage shapes and detailing and the occasional use of color.
* Mia Mia – Yet another cute collection with textured details, embroidery and a flattering silhouette.
* Hollywood Dreams – Glamour brought by plenty of sparkles, oversized collars and pretty details.
* Hazaar of London – A simple but effective preview of just two dresses. Vintage inspired but modern in their simplicity.
* Blue Bridalwear – Pretty prom dresses, Peter Pan collars and lace ‘crop-top’ details.
*Naomi Neoh – Fluid, flowing skirts and romantic detailing.
*Madeleine Isaac James – Classic designs with beautiful detailing and showcasing the finest materials.
* Vintage Wedding Dress Company – Lace and crochet detailing, long, fluid silhouettes and a romantic feel.
* Terry Fox – Dramatic details, mixing of fabric and clever shapes.
International Flavors Preview
My first glass of bubbly of the day and I settled down for the last show – the International Flavors. Here we were shown a wonderful and exciting mixture of collections. Here are some keywords about each preview.
* Lusan Mandongus / Annasul Y – Beautiful lace filled collection with a variety of necklines.
* Elizabeth Stuart – Full skirts and elaborate details full of texture.
*Sanyukta Shrestha – Vintage inspired shapes and fabrics with lovely details and truly flattering gowns.
* Kisui – A simple selection of gowns that are truly beautiful in movement.
* Victoria Kyriakides – Wonderful use of fabrics whether layered or pleated, a very beautiful and sexy collection
*Yolan Cris – Lace, crochet, embellishment. Extravagant yet completely wearable.
* Victorio – Simple silhouettes with perfect detailing and attention to detail.
* Raimon Bundo – an exciting collection mixing chiffon and lace that’s very pleasing for the eye.
Now you’ve just got to look out for our reviews of each different collection in the coming weeks. And if you want to look at full collections in all their glory, why not check out our photo gallery for Stewart Parvin 2013, Anoushka G 2013 and lots more to come!