The 10 Best Wedding Planning Books
DIY weddings are a breeze with these great wedding planning books full of easy tips and beautiful inspiration. Here’s a list of the 10 best!
When choosing the best wedding planning book for you, you can flip through the Table of Contents at the publisher websites if you can’t find specific titles at your local bookstore or the library to browse through. The books we love the most have a combination of smart organization ideas and expert advice, plus pretty pictures.
1. First up is Emily Post’s Wedding Planner (4th Edition) from HarperCollins. This valuable book guides wedding couples through important etiquette tips, checklists and vendor comparison charts. Peggy Post, Emily Post’s great-granddaughter-in-law, is the author and a highly respected authority on modern wedding etiquette.
2. The Knot Ultimate Wedding Lookbook, by The Knot editors with founder Carley Roney, has more than 1,000 color photographs for wedding planning inspiration. This beautiful book from Clarkson Potter includes useful countdown timelines, with creative ideas for fashion, decorations and more. From palettes, to parties, to pretty save-the-date cards, you can count on The Knot for “creative and classic ideas to make the day as meaningful as it is beautiful.”
3. and 4. You might know South African party planner to the stars, Colin Cowie, from his reality TV show “Get Married” (Lifetime TV) or his many appearances on popular talk shows. His wedding planning books offer juicy secrets for creating chic and elegant ceremonies. Expect Cowie’s advice and aesthetic to tend toward those with affluence, but even wedding couples with tight budgets can benefit from his expertise.
5. No matter your budget or style, The Wedding Book by Mindy Weiss and Lisbeth Levine is a comprehensive guide from engagement party ideas to honeymoon destinations. This helpful tome from Workman Publishing doesn’t include eye-candy photos, but we trust it would be dog-eared and depended on throughout the entire wedding planning process.
6. Whether highlighting changing laws, gay-friendly wedding websites, or same-sex ceremony ideas with laugh-out-loud wit – Gay and Lesbian Weddings by David Toussaint (with Heather Leo) at Ballantine Books is both fabulous and fun. This great guide includes “a handy Wedding Countdown Calendar, website resources, and true stories from same-sex couples who’ve gotten hitched without a hitch.”
7. LGBT wedding couples will rejoice that The Essential Guide to Gay and Lesbian Weddings has been released in an updated 3rd edition from The Experiment Publishing! First written by Tess Ayers and Paul Brown 10 years before same-sex marriage was legalized in the state of Massachusetts in 2004, this modern marriage guide has beautiful LGBT real-wedding photos, too.
8. Here’s comes The Bridal Bible, all dressed in stress-free planning tips and divine wedding visuals. From the collaborative efforts of authors Sharon Naylor, Blair deLaubenfels, Christy Weber, and Kim Bamberg; we love that this book from The Lyons Press is packed full of essential information and can’t-look-away photo galleries.
9. It’s always going to be a beautiful love sTORI when actress, author and fashionista Tori Spelling is on the scene. For stunning and stylish wedding receptions and wedding-related event ideas, we recommend Spelling’s CelebraTORI from Gallery Books. We agree with the publisher that “Hosting an event is not about ticking to-dos off a list; it’s about turning an organic idea into a fun day you and your guests won’t forget.”
10. If you’re a die-hard Martha Stewart fan, Matthew Robbins’ Inspired Weddings from Stewart, Tabori & Chang is the right book for you! Matthew Robbins – New York wedding planner and columnist/contributor for Martha Stewart Weddings – has a unique approach to helping wedding couples design their events. First selecting objects that hold special meaning for his brides and grooms, Robbins uses those objects as inspiration to help transform “the special into the spectacular.”
DIY wedding planning doesn’t have to be overwhelming! Choose a great book from our list to keep your excitement level up and stress level down.
Which are your favorite wedding planning books? We’d love to know in the comments section below!