On your wedding day, you have to look lovely and confident, but you should also be comfortable. You’ll spend most of the day on your feet mingling with guests, not to mention dancing til dawn.
These days, comfort does not have to be at odds with great style. You’ll just have to shop around to find your ideal fit. Here are five tips to help you choose the perfect bridal shoe.
1. Choose your wedding dress first. Yes, sometimes you fall madly in love with the Louboutins before you find your dream dress. If that’s the case, go for it. But you may change your mind about the style, color and/or heel height of your shoes once you’ve decided on a certain style of dress. And just as with everyday clothing, the wrong shoes can ruin an outfit.
2. Consider the weather. You may be shoe shopping in June but getting married in December, or vice versa. Consider where and when you’ll be taking outdoor photos, how cold it will be, and if you’re likely to be walking on a surface slick from rain or snow.
3. Consider color. While white, ivory, silver and gold are the most common choices, but we’re seeing more and more brides have some fun with their wedding shoes. Match your shoes to your bridesmaids’ dresses or decor, or just wear your favorite color, no matter what it is! Maybe your shoes could be your something blue?
4. Choose a heel height that you’re used to. Some ladies are never seen without their 4″ heels, even as they shop for groceries or fill up at the gas station. If you’re not one of them, don’t attempt to channel your inner Victoria Beckham on the one day when you’ll be on your feet all day and the center of attention. A 1.5–2.5″ heel adds just enough height without risking toppling over. Or if it’s your style, slip on some comfy ballet flats and skip the heels altogether.
5. Break them in. Every night for a couple weeks before the wedding, put your shoes on for a little while. Wear them around the house or to run an errand or two. By the time your wedding day rolls around, they’ll feel like slippers.